Jury Finds Richmond Man Guilty of 2010 Fatal Shooting Outside Nightclub

By: Ja'Mein Beale - Tue, 22 May 2012 14:19:12 -0800

SAN FRANCISCO (BCN)--A jury has found a Richmond man guilty of first-degree murder for a shooting that killed another man outside a nightclub near San  Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf in 2010.
Keandre Davis, 22, was accused of fatally shooting 19-year-old  Lawon Hall outside Club Suede at 383 Bay St. on Feb. 7, 2010. Three other  people were injured in the shooting.
A San Francisco Superior Court jury late Tuesday morning found Davis  guilty of first-degree murder and also found true a special allegation  involving the use of a firearm, district attorney's office spokesman Alex  Bastian said.
Prosecutors said Davis and another suspect cornered Hall as he was  leaving the club and shot at him more than a dozen times.
Davis was arrested after a patrol special officer, Robert Burns,  witnessed the shooting and shot and detained him.
Assistant District Attorney Diana Garcia said in her closing  argument last week that Davis' DNA was found on the grip of a handgun found  near where he was detained and that bullet fragments found in Hall's body  matched bullets shot from the gun.
Deputy Public Defender Steve Olmo, who represented Davis, said in  his closing argument that Davis and Hall were longtime family friends with no  feud, and said that Burns, the patrol special officer, misidentified Davis as  the shooter.
A man suspected of being the second shooter was arrested in the  days after Hall's death but prosecutors declined to file charges against him.
The jury had begun deliberating after receiving the case late  Thursday afternoon. They continued through the day Monday after taking Friday  off.
"People come from around the world to enjoy San Francisco's  vibrant nightlife," District Attorney George Gascon said in a statement.  "This verdict sends a powerful message that we will not tolerate violent  behavior at our entertainment establishments."
A sentencing date has not yet been set for Davis, who faces 50  years to life in prison.
After the shooting, a judge ordered Club Suede permanently closed.
(Copyright 2012, Bay City News. All Rights Reserved.)  
blog comments powered by Disqus